Site Seeing

Explore Tucson's History & Much More!

Lemmon – 10300 Ski Run Rd. Mt.
Lemmon, AZ 85619
(520) 576-1321

During World War II, a group of skiers made up of Lowell Thomas , a noted journalist and adventurer, a local forest ranger, and many Davis Monthan serviceman which included Thomas’ son, later a Governor of Alaska, and Art Devlin, a future Olympic ski jumper and Television commentator, formed the Sahuaro Ski Club. The well known cartoonist, Paul Webb, created a patch and membership certificates for the club showing a skier wrapped around a sahuaro cactus. Thomas sent honorary memberships to dozens of friends, famous personalities around the world, making membership a tongue in cheek must. A ski gala was held that first year at the Arizona Inn with many of Thomas’ friends in attendance. A Forest Service lease was obtained, an old model “A” with its tires removed propelled a rope tow and Mt. Lemmon Ski Valley had its beginning.
Summer – The sky ride to the summit takes about ½ hour and covers approximately 1 mile. You depart the base of the ski area near 8200 foot elevation and climb to 9100 feet-where the earth meets Heaven. Among the Quaking Aspen, Douglas Fir and enormous Ponderosa Pine, you may spot a Stellar Jay, a Golden Eagle, wild turkeys or one of the other 200 species of birds that have been identified as residents or visitors of the mountain. Other wildlife to look for: the Black Bear, Coati Munde, Mountain lion, White Tailed Deer, Bobcat, and of course our own Cat and Kitty! As you settle in for the return ride down the ski lift, the expanse of the San Pedro Valley, the Reef of Rocks, the town of Oracle and Mammoth, and the distant mountains near Globe and Phoenix provide incomparable panoramic views

University of Arizona – 1401 E University Blvd.
Tucson, AZ 85721
(520) 621-2211

The main campus sits on 380 acres (1.5 km2) in central Tucson, about one mile (1.6 km) northeast of downtown. There are 179 buildings on the main campus. Many of the early buildings, including the Arizona State Museum buildings (one of them the 1927 main library) and Centennial Hall, were designed by Roy Place, a prominent Tucson architect. It was Place’s use of red brick that set the tone for the red brick facades that are a basic and ubiquitous part of nearly all UA buildings, even those built in recent decades. Indeed, almost every UA building has red brick as a major component of the design, or at the very least, a stylistic accent to harmonize it with the other buildings on campus.
The campus is roughly divided into quadrants. The north and south sides of campus are delineated by a grassy expanse called the Mall, which stretches from Old Main eastward to the campus’ eastern border at Campbell Avenue (a major north-south arterial street). The west and east sides of campus are separated roughly by Highland Avenue and the Student Union Memorial Center (see below).
The science and mathematics buildings tend to be clustered in the southwest quadrant; the intercollegiate athletics facilities to the southeast; the arts and humanities buildings to the northwest (with the dance department being a major exception as its main facilities are far to the east end of campus), with the engineering buildings in the north central area. The optical and space sciences buildings are clustered on the east side of campus near the sports stadiums and the (1976) main library.
Speedway Boulevard, one of Tucson’s primary east-west arterial streets, traditionally defined the northern boundary of campus but since the 1980s, several university buildings have been constructed north of this street, expanding into a neighborhood traditionally filled with apartment complexes and single-family homes. The University has purchased a handful of these apartment complexes for student housing in recent years. Sixth Street typically defines the southern boundary, with single-family homes (many of which are rented out to students) south of this street.

Kino Stadium – Home of the Padres 2500 E Ajo Way
Tucson, AZ 85713
(520) 434-1367

KINO STADIUM BOX OFFICE HOURS
Monday through Friday – 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
Kino Stadium, in Tucson, Ariz., is the new home of the Triple-A Tucson Padres of the Pacific Coast League beginning in 2011. It currently seats 11,500 fans. The Arizona Diamondbacks and Chicago White Sox formerly utilized the park for Cactus League Spring Training games each March and had their minor league complexes on-site until 2010. 
The park, previously named Tucson Electric Park, was also home to the Triple-A Tucson Sidewinders of the Pacific Coast League for the team’s last decade in Tucson, running from the stadium’s 1998 opening season to the 2008 season.
The stadium was previously named for the local electric utility, Tucson Electric Power, until 2010.
Kino Stadium was the site where legendary Major Leaguer Randy Johnson threw a pitch that fatally hit a bird. It was ruled no pitch. 

FACTS 
Opened: 1998 
Owner: Pima County 
Operator: Pima County Stadium District 
Surface: Grass 
Capacity: 11,500 (8,000 metal seats, lawn seating for 3,000, 500 standing areas) 
Field Dimensions: Right/Left: 340 ft 
Center: 405 ft 

TENANTS 
Arizona Diamondbacks (MLB spring training) (1998-2010) 
Chicago White Sox (MLB spring training) (1998-2008) 
Tucson Sidewinders (PCL) (1998-2008) 
Pima College Aztecs football (2010- present) 
Tucson Padres (PCL) (2011- present)